Friday, January 25, 2013

Perseverance

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
Walter Elliot 


Isn't that the truth, when it comes to Diabetes?  

It's true when it comes to my girls and diabetes.  We run many short races each and every day.  Each race either an accomplishment or a "failure", depending on how diabetes wants to behave that day.  It reminds me of  one of the villains on Despicable Me, Vector, who is always saying how he is so "unpredictable!".  

Diabetes is unpredictable. There are days when there is no rhyme or reason to anything diabetes does to the girls.  Kinda like today when I come into the office at the end of the day only to have the secretaries tell me both girls had been down there 5 or 6 times today with lows.  What?!  Are you kidding me?  At least they both get it. One has a grandchild with Type 1 and is very involved) and the other is a D-mama just like me, with two T1 kiddo's. (and a husband with T1). I just shake my head and nod in agreement.  No words because they get it.  

With the unpredictability of diabetes comes many life lessons in perseverance and persevering through the struggles that diabetes throws their way.  My girls are great examples of that.  Where I would be the big wuss in the corner crying, they are standing tall dealing with all the finger pokes and pump site changes.

So what are my girls learning as their moral focus for the month at school?  Perseverance.  Princess came home with a homework assignment to write about how they can show perseverance at home.  This is what Princess wrote: 



I have never been so proud of her.  She even drew a picture of herself getting site change.  It's bittersweet with all the crap diabetes puts them through.  At the same time it's amazing how much stronger they are because of diabetes.  Who would have thought that perseverance would end up being something they had to do each and every day?  






2 comments:

Harrison said...

Great artwork from your daughter and a great example of persistence. I don't suppose you have tried changing the site after a bath or shower? I know that made a big difference to me when trying to find the least painful way.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Perseverance, indeed. Great post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails