Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering...

September 10th and September 11th will be two days that will be with me forever and for two completely different reasons.


September 11th, 2001
was a bright sunny morning, really blue skies here, just like in New York City.  I went to work that morning, (yes at one time I did work outside the home! :) My job (at a mortgage company) was out on the south side of town close to the airport. We had planes fly over our building all the time when coming in to land.


I was already there and working when my co-worker came in (late) and said that she heard on the radio that a (small) plane had flown into the Twin Towers in NYC.  I didn't think too much about it and continued working.  Then a few minutes later, I had been listening to the radio at my desk and it came across the another plane had flown into the other Twin Tower.  Now, they had my attention!  I listened as they described what they say, then it seemed pretty quick and the announcer said the one tower was gone....


I lost my breath, had I just "listed" to upwards of 20,000 people just die?  We didn't have a TV in our office and we could barely get on the Internet to get any pictures.  The one picture we did get was the smoke coming from the towers after both of them had been hit.


Then we started hearing of more planes hijacked and that one had hit the pentagon. (not having a television to watch we weren't really getting the whole perspective on things either) We got a little nervous when there was one unaccounted for and we were located near the airport.  Luckily it landed in Cleveland and was searched and found to be okay.  Little did we know it was the plan that went down in Shanksville that they were worried about.


We listened to the speech from President Bush and watched all the airplanes land after airspace had been closed.  Our reception area was one big glass window and the planes were coming in so low and fast that day that (at times) it looked as though they were going to fly right into our building.  You could see the shadows of the planes on the ground.  It was a little surreal.


I didn't have any kids yet and knew things were bad, but didn't realize just how bad until I turned the TV on when I got home that night.  It was on EVERY station.  I have cable and I mean EVERY station.  At that moment I was glad I didn't have kids yet and that I didn't have that extra layer of fear.  It was a day that I will never forget, along with all Americans.


Fast forward to September 10th, 2009


Another day I will never forget,  Lovebug's pump start day.  I was so excited that day, and a little nervous that it was finally happening!  No more  shots and lots more freedom, even if she was hooked up to a "machine" and had to wear a "fanny pack" around her waist all the time.


That's right, she has officially been pumping for a year now!  It is bittersweet though.  While it makes her and our lives easier, she is hooked up to a "machine" that keeps her alive.  That is hard some day's.  Hard knowing that when she is unhooked from her pump she isn't getting the medicine to keep her alive.  That means she has  had diabetes in her (and our ) live (s) for 17 months now.  It has been a long 17 months but we have come a long way since we brought her home from the hospital after her diagnosis.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW...two really different days. I had just given birth to Bridget 5weeks prior to Sept 11th. I was at home on Maternity leave from the hospital.

As for Lovebugs pump start - that is fantastic. I love pumping for these young children...wouldn't have it any other way. xoxo

Have a great w/e and btw...great job on NaBloPoMo...it is nice to know that I have you, Wendy, and Tracy keeping me company with this month of blogging.

Unknown said...

It was hard to believe what was happening on 9/11.

SO HARD to wrap my brain around it...to comprehend the mass impact...

I will never forget.

Congrats on a year of pumping!!!!

connie said...

I will never forget that day, so much loss and sadness. I know I will be thinking of all the families that were touched by that tragedy.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

I'm with you. 9/11 is a day I'll never forget. Never ever.

A year of pumping - wow! That's definitely another date to remember. Here's to another year of freedom and ease, health and happiness!

Unknown said...

I had just found out I was pregnant with Taylar when "Sept. 11" happened. It was hard to watch any TV for weeks because of it. I kept wondering what kind of world I was bringing this little baby into. We'll always remember that day.
---
A year on the pump! Sometimes the days go by so slow and other times it's like, "wow, has it been that long?" That's definitely another day for you to remember.

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

I remember not thinking much of that first plane too. It's like my brain's way of protecting me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails