Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dear Rufus (the bear with diabetes)

Diabetes Blog Week: Day 2 Letter Writing Day

Four weeks ago you were given to Princess by Miss Sally.  I have to admit that I really didn't want you here.  We already have one Rufus and never wanted another one.  I never thought we would have another one, until one Sunday afternoon when I realized we would "welcoming" another Rufus into our family the next day.

The morning you entered our lives was a really hard one. You see were were at our Endo's office with Princess, not Lovebug.  It just wasn't supposed to be this way. We were not supposed to be in the VERY same room that we learned all about how to give shots and take care of Lovebug......with Princess.  

We knew you would be in the blue JDRF backpack that would be given to us. As soon as Miss Sally gave us that backpack, we opened it right up and pulled you out.  It took Princess only a couple seconds to notice you and her face lit up with one of the biggest smiles I had seen a while.  She gave you the BIGGEST hug ever.  Left me in tears.
Princess didn't let go of you the whole time we were at the Endo's office.  I was amazed at how she was immediately attached to you.  You were her best buddy, from the moment she laid eyes on you. You even had to be buckled into the car seat to keep you safe on the way home.

You have been there for Princess in ways I just can't be. You have taken shots for her and showed her how to be brave. That is something I am unable to do with shots, since I am still a wimp when it comes to me receiving one! You have comforted her each and every time she receives a shot, she squeezes you tight as I poke her yet again. Princess just loves to give you shots on your pink patch, sorry for that. We are working on rotating those shots!

She has held onto you tight many nights now. You have become her buddy, going just about everywhere that Princess goes. I have to admit that I would love to put a little purple tutu on you and make you look a tad bit more "girly" but Princess loves you just the way you are.

Thank you for being there.

Thank you for making that transition easier for Princess when she was diagnosed with diabetes just four short weeks ago.

Thank you for everything you are to her, in ways that just can't be.  If I could take diabetes away from her and give it to myself, I would in a heartbeat. But since I can't, I am glad she has you.

Thank you really just does not seem adequate enough.



19 comments:

Unknown said...

Rufus is a ROCK STAR!!! Give that bear a "fist bump"..."paw bump" or what-have-you from me.

I am so glad that this stuffed animal is providing Princess some comfort and helping her cope. What a wonderful letter Heather. Touching.

Lauren said...

I love your letter! So touching to hear how Rufus has helped Princess. :)

Vivian said...

So sorry you had to have a second bear. Very happy Rufus is available to the kids though, I know he helped my son too.

Unknown said...

I've been having a "dry" morning...I think I cried enough yesterday or something, but this one brought me to tears. She's so lucky to have Rufus to cuddle and a momma like you to love her.

Lora said...

Justin loved Rufus!!

Anonymous said...

I love Rufus. I requested a Bag of Hope by email as it was recommended for the books inside of it. My DD is 12. I did not expect her to open it and find Rufus inside. When she did she was so happy! Rufus has not left her bed since he came home, except when he joins us for dinner. She especially loved the bracelet, and started keeping hers on 24x7 whereas before Rufus came home it took reminders to get her to put it on.

Rufus rocks! Your post is beautiful. I am sorry you too are going through this with your family.
D.

Cherished Children said...

I am so sorry another Rufus has come to your household, but so glad Princess has found a friend in him.

Kris said...

I hate that you have to have a second Rufus too. But I'm so glad he has been there for your sweet girl.

6 years later and Bee's Rufus is still one of her favorites! He's a bit ragged now. But he's been through a lot. Rufus is awesome and I am so glad he helps our kids feel a bit better.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Rufus is loved and adored by us too! Just last night, Rufus was low at our house.

"You have been there for Princess in ways I just can't be." -- Ooh, that tugged at the heart strings. It's so true for Jack, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so sweet a post that's brought me to tears. What heart-touching letter, Heather! I can so relate and feel the love for Rufus and what he does. There wasn't a Rufus around when I was diagnosed, buy my parents had gotten me a little stuffed animal frog (dubbed Froggy) who had this same effect and shared these D-experiences with me after I was diagnosed at five. I've blogged about him before, but it was my way of having a friend going through exactly what I was. With me. That's what Rufus (and Lenny The Lion from Minimed) do now, and that's so incredibly awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

The DL said...

RUFUS! I still have mine from 7 years ago. He is so special!

Alexis Nicole said...

I have to say youre amazing. You are. D Mama superhero x 2! You rock. I am so glad Rufus is there to assist.

Give him a big ol kiss for me!

LaLa said...

Oh Heather - TEARS! I know these past few weeks have been so hard. I wish I could be there with you!

I know what you mean - we never wanted Rufus either but wow has he helped since Nate's dx. Both of my girls love Rufus too.

XOXOX

Joanne said...

What a sweet letter. Elise loves her Rufus (aka Sara) too.

Hallie Addington said...

We love Rufus. I'm so glad he's there for Princess. I'm so sorry he needs to be. It hurts my heart. Love you!

Michelle said...

So sorry that you had to welcome another Rufus into your home...but glad that he is there and helping Princess!

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and put a tutu on Rufus. They must have retired her (and I also noticed at our endo's office that Rufus has shrunk, he's smaller), but our DD was given Ruby (Rufus in a dress). The bears look exactly the same. So go ahead and give him a new wardrobe, LOL. So glad Rufus has made things easier for Princess.

Denise said...

We love Rufus too!

Karen said...

Your beautiful letter has brought me to tears. Rufus is a hero! And so are Princess and Lovebug and you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails